Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I have more energy!

I am so thankful to be part of the 100-Day-Heart Challenge! We are into our third week and I am already feeling a difference. I have never been a regular exerciser so to dedicate time six days a week to exercise is new for me … but I'm really enjoying it! I find I have more energy and want to eat better. It's hard work burning those calories! I think twice before putting something high fat into my mouth. It doesn't mean I don't eat a treat from time to time. I'm just more aware (and careful)- My eyes have been opened!


I love vegetables, so filling my day with low calorie foods is easy. The members of my family are not as excited about them, but because of this challenge, they are being supportive and tolerating extra veggies at dinner time. The trick for me is to keep the servings from the other food groups under control. What's the RDA for chocolate?


It's tricky making dinners that my family likes and will fit into my food plan. Last week I introduced them to healthy lettuce wraps (I really like them!). Well, needless to say, I ended up eating leftovers for lunch for the next three days! Today is my husband's birthday and he requested one of his favorite casseroles for dinner. I tried to figure out the calorie count per serving and finally decided it would be too high to even consider eating. That's when the frozen Healthy Choice meal in the freezer comes in handy! That Manicotti was pretty good, too! I'm hoping my family will come to like some of the healthy eating habits being introduced.

6 comments:

  1. I bet you'll learn new ways to sneak in healthier food for your family and they won't even realize they're starting to like it. Thanks for sharing - Janet Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I changed white bread to wheat bread in my household, my daughter thought I was the meanest mom on earth. I am pleased to report, she now not only eats the wheat bread but requests servings of broccoli for dinner! They will eventually adjust. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, Families have a way of dragging their heels when it comes to change, whether it be good or bad. My daughter has the theory with her children that when new foods are introduced at the table they are required to eat at least three bites. Then if they don't care for it they needn't eat the rest. It is surprising to the children how many foods they have a preconceived dislike for. Don't know if this is something you could try with your family. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) wow Sandi! Way to go! I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you and yours. Keep up the "good" work.
    Blessings,
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sandi :) how's it going? Are you surviving Spring Break? (& snow) -sending smiles!

    ReplyDelete